Portugal has become one of the most popular destinations in recent years for all ages. Whether it’s about students, job seekers, freelancers, or retired people. Portugal has all types of Visas. You will get your Portuguese Citizenship in five years. All you need to know carefully about the Portugal Work Visa Process 2023, their requirements, and which visa is best for you. There is also a new visa on which you can come to Portugal without Job.
Jobs in Portugal pay between 2,000 to 4,000 pounds per month, more in cities like Lisbon and less in smaller towns. Portugal is a very interesting country and a lot of people from the USA, and other Asian countries migrated to Portugal due to the diverse range of Visas options. If you also want to try Portugal then in this detailed guide, you will find everything you need to know about work visas in Portugal.
Details About Portugal Work Visa Process 2023 (Types of Visas, Requirements)
- Country: Portugal
- Visa Type: Work Visa
- Stay Duration: 3 Months, 6 Months, 1 Year, 5 Years
- Who can Apply: Anyone, each visa has its own requirement
Before we dive directly into “How to Apply for the Portugal Work Visa“, one should know about the following things:
- What is the Portugal Work Visa?
- Who does not need a Portugal Visa?
- Types of Portugal Work Visas
- Requirements and Application Process.
What is the Portugal Work Visa?
The Portugal Work Visa allows all non-EU nationals to work in Portugal.
There is “No specific name” for Portugal work visas. The Portuguese Govt issues Short Stay Visas and Temporary Residence permit for Long Stays.
- Short Stays: Not Exceeding 90 Days
- Long Stays: More than 90 days
Who does not need a Portugal Visa?
EU Nationals do not need a work permit or work Visa to come and work in Portugal.
Permanent Residency in Portugal After 5 Years
A temporary residency permit will be initially issued for one year. You can renew it four more times. In Total it will be for 5 years. After five years, you can apply for the Portugal Permanent Residence.
Portugal Work Visa Duration
- Initially Issued for 1 Year
- Extension: five Years
- Apply for Permanent Residency after 5 years.
Here we will use the term “Portugal Work Visa”
Types of Portugal Work Visas
This is the main part where I will tell you about all Portuguese visa types that are mainly related to work purposes. We will cover these types of Visas in our post.
- Schengen Visa
- Seasonal Work Visa
- Temporary Work Visas
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Job Seeker Visa
- Retirement Visa
- Golden Visa
1) Portugal Schengen Visa
The Schengen Visa is a Tourist Visa that allows people to come on a Visit. On this Visa, you can also visit other EU Schengen Countries. It allows you to stay for up to 90 days.
On Schengen Visa, you can also work on Jobs such as Seasonal Jobs, farming, Fruit Picking, and Packing.
2) Portugal Seasonal Work Visa
The Seasonal work Visa is equal to or less than 90 days. It allows you to work in approved sectors such as:
- Agriculture, livestock, hunting, forestry, and fishing;
- Hospitality, restaurants, and similar;
- The food industry, liquor, and tobacco industries
- Gross and Retail commerce
- Land transport
Requirements of this Visa
- You must have a Job offer from the Portugese employer for seasonal work Visa.
- You can not stay for more than 90 days.
- For more information: Visit this link.
3) Portugal Digital Nomad Visa – Road to Permanent Residency
The Portugal Digital Nomad Visa is a New type of Visa launched in 2022 that allows applicants to come to Portugal without a Job offer. For this Visa, you do not need a Job.
If you are a Freelancer, working remotely from anywhere you are eligible to apply for the Digital Nomad Visa. This Visa is valid for one year and can be renewable for five times.
4) Portugal Job Seeker Visa – Without Job
The Portugal Job Seeker Visa allows applicants to come to Portugal and look for employment. It allows you to stay in Portugal for six months to find a Job.
If you are able to find a Job you can apply for a temporary residence permit. The application fee for a Portuguese Job seeker Visa is €75.
5) Portugal Retirement D7 Visa
This is a national (residency) visa, issued to non-EU citizens who want to live in Portugal without working, but who have a steady income from pensions, savings, etc.
6) Portugal Golden Visa
You can apply for this type of visa if you purchase a property in Portugal worth at least €500,000. The Golden Visa program has two types. The Portugal Golden Visa program is rated the best residency program in the world.
- Five-year stay in Portugal required
- Minimum real estate investment of EUR 280,000
7) Portugal Temporary Work Visas
The Temporary Stay Visa is divided into different categories. I have made a table below with the type of visa and its purpose.
|Purpose||Type of Visa|
|Seasonal work||Temporary stay visa for 90 days.|
|Independent work||Temporary stay visa for independent work, Entrepreneurs|
|Highly qualified activity||Temporary stay visa for scientific research, higher education professorial activity or highly qualified activity purposes for a period of less than a year.|
|Professorial activity||Temporary stay visa for scientific research, higher education professorial activity or highly qualified activity purposes for a period of less than a year.|
|Volunteer Work||Temporary stay visa for periods of over 3 months|
|Retired||People living on their own income|
How You Can Find Jobs in Portugal Online?
Visit this link to find a Job in Portugal.
Requirements to Obtain a Portugal Work Visa
Before applying for your Portugal Work Visa, keep these things in mind.
- You must have a Job offer from the Portugese employer if you are applying for Seasonal work or other temporary work visas.
- Not all visas required job offers such as Digital Nomad, Job Seeker, and Retirement Visa.
- Your employer needs to apply for a Work Permit on your behalf
- Once your work contract or work permit is approved, you can apply for the Portugal Work Visa and submit all the documents to the Portugal Embassy or VFS Global.
Required Documents for the Portugal Work Visa
Each type of work visa has its own set of documents required.
Visit this link to check the list of required documents for the each visa. The section of the document is under a Menu.
Portugal Work Visa Fees
- Job seeker visa: €90
- Digital nomad visa: €180
- Temporary residency visa: €90
- Short stay visa: €80 for adults
How and Where to Apply for the Portugal Work Visa (Step-By-Step Instructions for Portugal Work Visa Process 2023)
Once you have all the documents in hand, and you know for which visa you are applying. If you are applying for the Work Visa that need a Job offer from Portugal then:
- Find a Job, you are accepted for a Job. Then your employer will Apply For Your Portugal Work Permit.
- After you have received your work permit, you can start your Portuguese Work Visa application.
- Complete all the online forms, Schedule and attend an appointment.
- Your work visa will grant you entry to Portugal.
- Apply for your residency permit in Portugal once you land there.